Happy Eclipse Day Yall!! I hope everyone has their NASA approved glasses out and ready to go! Despite the solar excitement it is just another Monday around the Running In Pink Project house. My batteries are totally recharged for a busy week ahead. I had an elusive “day off” over the weekend which involved a mani pedi and some Starbucks….
Sushi with a girlfriend….
and a hilarious chick flick.
That left Sunday open for family time. We explored a new trail in town, got a KILLER workout in, and did some much needed vegging out.
I was feeling pretty motivated when Sunday evening rolled around so I decided to get into making mode. One of my absolute favorite flavor combos is spanakopita. I have a spanakopita burger (ala Rachael Ray 30 minute meals) I have made for years. It was actually one of the first things I ever learned to cook. Since we are mostly doing “knife and fork” burgers these days I was thinking about a way to put all of those flavors into a veggie pasta dish. Here is what I came up with!
You will need:
1lb lean ground beef or bison or even turkey (I rarely cook with lamb at home)
1/2 to 1 cup (to taste) Feta Cheese
1 small onion – diced
2-3 cloves garlic
1 container baby spinach
1/2 box veggie pasta (we like spinach)
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
natural balsamic dressing (such as Simply Dressed)- to taste
- Boil pasta per instructions- set aside.
- Pre-heat your pan to medium heat.
- Heat your chopped onion, grated garlic, salt and pepper until tender.
- Add balsamic vinegar and allow it to cook out 1-2 minutes
- Add in ground beef, salt, pepper, and additional spices if desired (I used Trader Joes 21 spice blend and red pepper flake. Steak seasoning works great too).
- Once your beef is brown add in baby spinach allowing it to wilt.
- Drain (all grease and water from the veggies)
- Add in your cooked veggie pasta
- Add in Feta
- Drizzle with Olive Oil and mix
- Dress with some natural balsamic dressing 1tbl per serving if desired.