Meet Emily. Emily loves to ride horses, listen to music, and spend time with her youth group. She has two parents, two pups, and a younger brother who love her dearly. She is a bright and beautiful girl who happens to be diagnosed with Ataxia-Telangiectasia or A-T.
In case you, like myself just a few days ago, are not familiar with A-T is a rare genetic disease that attacks children, causing progressive loss of muscle control, immune system problems, and a high rate of cancer. These kids start out just like any other child, but A-T progressively robs them of their ability to walk, talk, read and write – and often even being able to eat and swallow properly. All this while their minds are perfectly healthy – there is no cognitive damage. At this time A-T has no cure. And, since it is considered an “orphan disease”, A-T receives no government funding for research. This means any breakthroughs in therapy for these kids to improve quality of life OR any hope for a cure comes solely from fundraising efforts- solely from the generosity and kindness of people willing to help.
Cut to my Disney announcement. I am so incredibly excited to be running in the Disneyland 10K (Part of the Dumbo Double Dare Weekend) this year on behalf of The Children’s A-T Project. Yay Team Emily!!! I feel like fate sort of brought us together. I literally missed the 10K cut off by minutes and talked with Andrea at Run Eat Date Sleep about possibly linking up with a charitable organization for the race. What started off as us trying to figure out a way to run the 10K as Cheshire Cat twins (yeah that’s happening by the way- teehee) turned into something so much more important!
Since I am planning to run (not just complete) the 10K I have a long road of training ahead of me. I am ready to train, trim, and turn myself into a legit runner before making my way to California this summer. But I need your help!
The biggest (and best) part of running in this 10K will be the donations I am able to raise for such a great cause. The hubs and I are covering my room/board for the trip so be assured that 100% of the $600.00 I am trying to raise will go straight to A-T Children’s Project to help kids like Emily. Again, nothing you are kind enough to donate will pay for my race fee or travel expenses. For those interested 81% of all donations will be applied directly to research and treatment while the remaining 19% covers fundraising efforts and administrative costs for the organization to keep it up and running. Please consider supporting these amazing kids/teens so I can run my heart out for them in August! Every single dollar matters so please consider donations of any size as equally appreciated!
Please visit my fundraising page: www.atcp.org/Sara
Thanks for helping me to help some amazing kids and I’ll see you at Disneyland!!!!